Hike: ‘Walking with Witches’ trail
The ‘Walking with Witches’ trail explores the story of the Pendle Witches, visiting many of the locations in which the infamous events occurred. It consists of two loops — either start from the official point at Barley Car Park or pick up the Western Loop as it passes 12 Newchurch holiday cottage.
Download the Walking wih witches trail flyer produced by Pendle Borough Council
The Western Loop (4 miles)
- From the entrance to the car park at Barley turn right and cross the road and follow the sign to Barley Green.
- Cross the stream via a footbridge on the left and follow the footpath uphill. Cross the wall at the stile and continue across the fields diagonally below the house. Continue uphill to the Pendle Way sign. Turn left following the Pendle Way down to Newchurch in Pendle, heading to the right of the stone pump house.
- Turn right and continue past St Mary’s church. Turn right into Well Head Road signposted Sabden Fold. After 400 metres there is Faugh’s Quarry.
- Continue along the road passing Moss End and Bull Hole Farms seen in the valley below. Follow the road past Saddlers Farm (now Shekinah Christian Centre).
- On reaching Drivers Height Farm pass the driveways to the house and take the stile on your right and follow the dry stone wall ascending steeply to the crest (frequent pauses to admire the view are recommended).
- Descend to the Upper Ogden Reservoir and follow the reservoir track along the valley back to Barley. Marvel at the terrific views of Pendle Hill.
The Eastern Loop (3.5 miles)
- From the bottom corner of the car park follow the Pendle Way footpath alongside the river to Whitehough.
- At the waymarked post turn left following the road towards Whitehough Outdoor Education Centre. Immediately after a small red brick building turn right and follow the footpath through the wood keeping the Outdoor Centre on your left over a number of small foot bridges.
- Follow the detour above the house until you reach the drive beyond the house. Turn left along the drive and left at the Pendle Way sign.
- Follow the road uphill and turn right along a track. After 180 metres turn right over a stile and descend to Croft House Farm. Continue through the fields, crossing stiles and footbridge along the clearly marked Pendle Way to Roughlee. Turn right on joining the road, Roughlee Hall is on your right.
- Follow the road through the village passing Crowtrees. Turn right on the waymarked footpath immediately after the bridge. Continue along the left hand bank of Pendle Water. On approaching Whitehough, again turn left up the road. When you meet the main road, cross over and take the stile ahead of you, which leads uphill to meet Heys Lane. Follow this route until it leads you back to the car park.